The Pharmacy Act, 2012 requires pharmacy students and interns to register with the Newfoundland and Labrador Pharmacy Board (NLPB). Registration of a student or intern confers upon them the right to perform tasks within the scope of practice of a pharmacist, but only under the direct supervision of a pharmacist.
For a complete list of currently registered students and interns, visit the NLPB Public Register.
Register as a Pharmacy Student
Pharmacy students registering for the first time are required to complete and submit the following application, along with required documentation:
Once registered, you can renew your registration each year through the NLPB Online Registrant Portal following the steps outlined on the Annual Registration Renewal page.
The deadline to register as a student, including the payment of fees, is September 30th of each year. The registration period is effective October 1-September 30.
For more information regarding registering and practicing as a pharmacy student, please review the Registration as a Pharmacy Student Interpretation Guide.
Register as a Pharmacy Intern
Pharmacy graduates who have not previously registered with NLPB will need to complete and submit an application to register and practice as a Pharmacy Intern, and before beginning practical training.
Registration as a pharmacy intern is valid for the period of time specified in the certificate of registration. It is not subject to renewal but may be extended, as necessary. If you are a pharmacy intern and need to extend your initial registration as an intern, please complete and submit the following form:
For more information regarding registering and practicing as a pharmacy intern, please review the Registration as a Pharmacy Intern Interpretation Guide.
Apply for Practical Training
Once registered as a pharmacy intern, pharmacy interns wishing to apply for practical training can do so through the NLPB Online Registrant Portal.
- Before registering, you must have the name of your proposed preceptor and the dates for the planned practical training period.
- Click on “Registrant Login” on the website’s main menu and log in using your username and password.
- Under the “InStep” section, fill out the Application to Complete Practical Training.
- Once the request is submitted and approved, you will receive an email to confirm you may begin.
Choosing a Preceptor
- Visit the NLPB Public Register to identify registrants authorized as preceptors.
- Pharmacy Interns are permitted to serve more than one practical training period with one preceptor.
- Pharmacy Interns are permitted to split the practical training period between two preceptors as long as they serve a minimum of 140 hours with each preceptor.
PLEASE NOTE: If your preceptor is leaving the pharmacy during your practical training period, please contact NLPB Registration and Licensing as soon as possible to discuss your options.
For additional resources, visit the Registration Requirements page.
For a list of applicable fees and timeline estimates, visit the Fees & Timelines page.